The Operations Accountant will be responsible for assisting the senior accountants with their plant assets in a timely and accurate manner and in accordance with company policies using the various accounting systems. Also, will be responsible to process monthly journal entries, vouchers and invoices each month and provide variance explanations for current month operations.
- Obtains information from internal and external sources to record accounting transactions in the accounting systems and general ledger.
- Ensures transactions are recorded, documented, reviewed, and supported in accordance with company policies and controls.
- Perform the allocations of plant expenses, monthly accruals, amortization of prepaid expenses, and recording of adjusting and reclassification journal entries, if necessary.
- Responsible for accuracy and timeliness of transactions in the systems and general ledger accounts. Applies analytical review to system results to ensure transactions are properly recorded in the accounting systems.
- Analyzes account balances and margin account activity at month end and prepares properly supported account reconciliations, margin analysis, and SOX documentation.
- Provide monthly variance analysis on assets for management reporting purposes.
- Answers and resolves internal and external customer inquiries, including audit inquiries from external auditors, Internal Auditing, and producer auditors.
- Provides expertise for your specific system.
- Files applicable regulatory reports as required by state and federal governmental agencies.
- Strive to understand the full range of the applicable operational accounting systems (e.g. Quorum Suite and/or Right Angle) functionality, the specific assets for which the accountant is responsible and the midstream business.
- Supports projects as needed and assists other accountants as requested by management.
- Provide support to senior accountants and/or accounting supervisors.
- Maintains desk procedures to document the mechanics of booking the assets.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree, major in accounting preferred or advanced degree in accounting
- 0-3 years of work experience as a degreed professional preferred.
- Oil and gas industry experience preferred.
- Experience with SAP accounting software preferred.
- Basic understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Ability to work under high pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly motivated and team-oriented individual.
- Detail-oriented and strong analytical skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in use of Excel and Word and have the aptitude to effectively learn company-specific accounting systems.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Flexible to work extra hours during peak periods.