Intern/Co-op - Information Technology (spring, 2024)
An exciting career awaits you
At MPC, we’re committed to being a great place to work – one that welcomes new ideas, encourages diverse perspectives, develops our people, and fosters a collaborative team environment.
Marathon Petroleum Company LP (MPC) offers internship and co-op opportunities to high-performing college students who want meaningful hands-on experiences in their fields of study. The following core values guide MPC’s approach to doing business: Safety & Environmental Stewardship, Integrity, Respect, Inclusion, and Collaboration. Interns and co-ops work side by side with experienced professionals as contributing members of diverse work teams who create value for the company’s shareholders. MPC believes that how we conduct our business is just as important as the bottom line.
A co-op/internship with MPC Information Technology can provide you the valued experience needed to work in today’s competitive working environment while delivering efficient and innovative solutions.
MPC ITS offers a diverse set of opportunities which gives you exposure to different areas of our business. With the potential to have multiple sessions and opportunities, you will gain valuable real-world experience while enhancing your skill set in one or more of the following IT job positions:
This position is an opportunity to play a significant role in supporting the technology needs of the Marathon business units. This role emphasizes Business Analysis and Project Management. Work directly with internal business partners and the IT Services team to identify areas to create and deliver value-added IT solutions. Job responsibilities could include:
- Collaborate with a diverse team of IT Developers and IT Business Analysts to ensure solutions are implemented in a manner consistent with the MPC software development lifecycle.
- Gather requirements and translate them into functional specifications. Active participation in the testing process to ensure a quality product is delivered.
- Understand the security and compliance requirements of applications and business areas.
- Utilize appropriate methods, controls, and documentation.
- Contribute and assist in assignments in a team environment.
- Clearly communicate thoughts, ideas, specifications, and requirements with business clients and technical developers using appropriate means of communication.
The IT Developer will design, build, and support solutions in a team-focused, collaborative environment that includes contributions from developer peers, architectural guidance from architects, and business requirements from business analysts. Job responsibilities could include:
- Understand how the technical landscape supports business operations and identify the best technologies to support business needs, including automation.
- Develop and maintain architectural guidelines and coding standards to ensure solutions are reliable, - sustainable, and scalable.
- Contribute to a healthy team environment, collaborating with various organizations across IT, including analytics, database management, and peer developers/analysts as appropriate.
- Ensure solutions are implemented in a manner consistent with Solution Delivery and MPC corporate policies and IT standards, utilizing appropriate methods, controls, and documentation.
- Clearly communicate thoughts, specifications, requirements, and progress with business partners and peers.
Cybersecurity Analysts supports the business in a variety of functions including risk assessments, cybersecurity administration of gateway, endpoint and cloud solutions, event detection and response, vulnerability management, and penetration testing. The role can provide an opportunity to engage with a variety of teams where job responsibilities could include:
- Monitoring and analysis of cybersecurity events
- Handling and escalation of Indicators of Compromise (IOC)
- Administration and management of gateway, endpoint, and cloud security solutions
- Vulnerability scanning and remediation prioritization
- Understand Advanced Persistent Threats (APT) and Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures (TTP) and how to replicate attack methodology.
- Facilitate maintenance of Cybersecurity, policies/standards providing training, guidance, and recommendations to meet requirements and address gaps.
- Identify and monitor cybersecurity risks across internal, cloud, and vendor environments.
Analytics & Innovation:
The Data Development team will design, build, and support data solutions in a team-focused, collaborative environment that includes contributions from Data Scientists, Business Intelligence Developers, Data Engineers, Data Integrations and Robotic Process Automation developer peers, architectural guidance from architects, data governance and security guidance and business requirements from business analysts. Job responsibilities could include:
- Supporting the department in transforming raw data into actionable insights
- Build and make changes to reporting solutions based on business requirements
- Real-world data engineering experience, using state-of-the-art tools and technologies.
- Real-world experience working on projects in a typical Data Science or Analytics environment, using state-of-the-art tools and technologies, while gaining broad exposure to the oil and gas industry.
- Programming for custom data ingestion, model development and testing, analyzing data, and writing documentation.
- Daily activities may include writing high quality queries to retrieve and analyze complex datasets, building insightful dashboards, researching and developing statistical learning models for data analysis and effectively communicating results across stakeholder groups
Cloud Infrastructure Engineer:
This transformation position is responsible for providing operational and technical support for refinery server and/or cloud environments by working collaboratively with multi-disciplinary workgroups to seek solutions to problems. This role would work on efforts which result in improved value of infrastructure services. Job responsibilities could include:
- Perform server, cloud, workstation, and/or network administration. Server and workstation administration are primarily on Microsoft Windows OS, SQL servers, with some occasional Linux administration. Network administration is on switches, routers, and firewall devices. Cloud administration is on Azure Cloud Services.
- Monitor system health and identify issues using common industry toolsets.
- Problem tracking, management, and resolution of issues
- Learn, understand, and apply Marathon Standard Practices to Information Technology assets.
- Identify, analyze, and elevate potential Cybersecurity events according to company procedures.
- Daily activities may include system backup administration, anti-virus administration, performance tuning, Microsoft Active Directory administration, network security detection administration, administration of the physical IP cabling and IP address assignments, updating of network diagrams, security policy management, data access controls, software patch management, risk management, change control administration, database administration, and self-auditing to ensure compliance with standards.
Test and deploy enterprise apps
Experience the power of cloud computing with Azure Virtual Machines, Managed Disks, and SQL databases while providing high availability and scalable performance with load-balanced Virtual Machine Scale Sets.
Create custom mobile experiences
Build based on your customers’ interests and behaviors using Azure App Service and Azure Cosmos DB, Xamarin, and Traffic Manager.
- Desired Majors: Computer Science & Engineering; Computer Science & Engineering Technology; Management Information Systems; Computer Information Systems; Information Systems & Analytics; Computer Engineering; Software Engineering and Computer Science; and other related IT disciplines
- Strong academic performance
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the US on a full-time indefinite basis without the need for employment visa sponsorship now or in the future.
- Concurrent enrollment in a degree seeking program throughout duration of experience
- Military experience a plus
- Min - $23.08 per hour/Max - $26.92 per hour
We hire for the following locations:
- Corporate: Findlay, OH, San Antonio. TX, Denver CO (Corporate Refining, Transportation & Logistics, Process Systems, and Supplier Diversity & Corporate Support)
Refineries (depending on semester): Canton, OH, Detroit, MI, Catlettsburg, KY; Garyville, LA; Robinson, IL; St. Paul Park, MN; Los Angeles, CA and Texas City, TX (Galveston Bay), Anacortes, WA, Martinez, CA, Salt Lake City, UT, Kenai, AK, Mandan, ND
As an energy industry leader, our career opportunities fuel personal and professional growth.